Better late than never. Even if you do something much later than planned, that is better than not doing it at all. This phrase applies my belated timing of this post-nationals blog post. As excited as I was to write about my positive experience in Moncton, I just haven’t gotten around to it! I enjoyed a week away from training after returning home from nationals which included a much-needed relaxing weekend at a cottage. Now that I’m reimmersed into the swing of things and back into training, I decided enough is enough and it is time to write a blogpost.
Better late than never also applies to my experience in Moncton. Finally, I achieved the breakthrough I have been patiently, yet desperately, waiting for. Last May, I broke 13 meters in triple jump for the first time. At the time, I thought that was my breakthrough. Well, it was more of a short glimpse of “the other side” than a full-fledged breakthrough because up until nationals, I had not surpassed that 13 meter mark since.
This year I had my best indoor season yet, consistently jumping in the 12.70s and 12.80s. Despite my confidence and successful training sessions, things took a weird turn once I moved outdoors when I opened up my season with 12.45m and then was idle in the 12.60s. For as good as I felt, I knew it was really strange that I was only jumping as far as I was. But a funny thing happened- I didn’t panic and I didn’t let myself feel dejected. My old self would have went to town with thoughts like “Oh my gosh, I was jumping this far when I was 17!”. But to be honest, not once did I have a thought like that. Heck, one week before nationals I sextuple faulted (meaning yes, I faulted 6 jumps in a row), and even then, I was relatively calm and still more confident than ever. My mind was fixated on Moncton and I knew that being the competiter that I am, everything would be okay when it really mattered.
My confidence through the lackluster performances and “keep calm and jump on” attitude turned out to work out pretty well for me, as I walked away from Moncton one very happy camper (er, fishermen rather, in reference to my last blog post). I would say in the past few years, this sport has been 95% disappointment, 5% satisfaction. This sport is tough because a win is never enough – you always want a faster time or further distance. Like Einstien once said, “insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”. Although I work hard and know that the 5% satisfaction isn’t a matter of luck, anytime a competition goes well, I can’t help be feel grateful and blessed because I know these moments are fleetingly rare. That 5% makes the other 95% worth it. Without a doubt, I would endure all my athletic heartbreaks over again just to experience the joy I did at nationals once again. That’s the beauty of sport.
Two jumps over thirteen meters, both coming in the final two rounds when I was in the silver-medal position, walking away with my fourth consecutive national championship, a new personal best jump, but you know what the best thing that I walked away from nationals with is?
Hope. It may not always happen for me when I want it to or how I want it to, but provided I keep working away at it, persevering, and believing in myself, I know the distances I am working towards on the measuring tape will always appear eventually. Better late than never.
For the full story of how things played out in Moncton, check out these articles below.
-Ehrhardt Reputation Grows as a Fierce Competitor – Sudbury Sports
-Ehrhardt Golden Again – Sudbury Star
Thanks everyone positive vibes heading into nationals and the kind words now that it is over! I truly couldn’t have done it without the amazing support that I am oh so lucky to receive! As always, thanks for reading.